Basketball starts season undefeated

By Gabriel Flores

Eastfield opened the basketball season in dominating fashion, scoring a combined 372 points in their first three games and winning each by at least 36 points. Spearheading the charge was sophomore guard Tevin Corprew, who currently ranks third in the nation in scoring at 31 points per game. He was selected as the Region V Division III Player of the Week for Oct. 26-Nov. 1.

Eastfield 117, Paul Quinn JV 77

Behind Corprew’s 35 points, nine assists and three steals, the Harvesters steamrolled past Paul Quinn in their season opener on Oct. 30.

Danzel Whitemon and Din Androk each added 11 points, and Ed Williams and Aaron Miller had 10 each. Forward LeTron Manning came off the bench to contribute seven rebounds, seven assists, five points and one block.

Eastfield 126, Jarvis Christian JV 90

Eastfield posted another landslide victory over visiting Jarvis Christian College as the backcourt duo of Corprew and Whitemon combined for 48 points. Corprew had six assists to go along with his 32 points, and Whitemon led the Harvesters in rebounding with 13.

The Harvesters’ bench players scored 55 points in the win. As a team, Eastfield shot 52. 9 percent (45-for-85) from the field, including 52.6 percent (10-for-19) from 3-point territory.

Eastfield 129, Texas Wesleyan JV 91

The Harvesters poured in 78 second-half points after leading by only seven at halftime to run away from Texas Wesleyan.

Four of Eastfield’s five starters scored in double figures, and two had double-doubles. Corprew scored 26 points and dished out 13 assists, while Tre Anderson had 18 points and 14 rebounds. Whitemon shot an efficient 9-for-12 from the field while racking up 21 points.