Harvesters say they’re ready for semifinal showdown

BY KEVIN CUSHINGBERRY JR., EDITOR IN CHIEF

The Eastfield Harvesters have spent the last day and a half preparing for their NJCAA Division III semifinal game against MassBay (Mass.) Community College. After learning they would play the Buccaneers, the Harvesters began scheming for MassBay’s zone defense.
“They run a 1-3-1 zone,” Fletcher said. “We need to attack the basket and get to the rim as much as possible. They may play some man, but I doubt it. We’ll make sure we’re prepared for whatever they decide to throw at us.”
The Harvesters had a film session at 2 p.m. today to discuss the ins and outs of their opponent. One thing the coaches preached was the success they could have if they got good play from their bench. The Buccaneers only have eight men on their roster in Loch Sheldrake compared to the Harvesters’ 13.
The Harvesters believe their uptempo style of play should help their chances.
“Those guys are only about six players deep,” Fletcher said. “We just need to push the ball in transition and maybe we’ll get some of their players in foul trouble.”
MassBay has three scorers who average double figures in scoring. Shooting guard Roger Paul averages 12.8 points per game. Eastfield guard Brock Hunter will have the task of guarding Paul.
“We got the scouting report on their players,” Hunter said. “Now I’m just ready to play.”
Hunter isn’t alone in that aspect. All of the Harvesters are eager for their semifinal match-up.
“Two more games and we get this ring,” freshman forward Andrew Maxie said. “We have to get this one first, though.”
The game tips off at 4 p.m. Check back here for a first-half summary and a wrap-up following the game.