Jay invited to national All-Star game

Elizabeth+Webb
Jay stands at the free-throw line ready to shoot.
Elizabeth Webb
By Jason Samuel

Isaiah Jay, star forward for the Eastfield Harvesters, was invited to participate in the NJCAA National All-Star game in Las Vegas, NV, Over 3,000 coaches from around the world will be in attendance to watch the best of the best NJCAA basketball players compete.
“When I heard that I made an All-Star team, I felt a great sense of accomplishment and was really excited to get started,” said Jay.
The All-Star game will take place on May 12 in the Orleans Arena where many scouts, coaches, and skilled basketball players will be on hand to watch or participate in the athletic events.
“Jay is a quiet leader. He leads more by example,” said Anthony Fletcher, Athletic Director and basketball coach for Eastfield College.“He is a good scorer [and] really skilled player that can drive to the basket and shoot from the perimeter.”
Isaiah averages 17 points, 7 rebounds and 2 steals a game while being a leader on the court.
“I know there will be a lot of scouts at the game from all around the country, so that’s why I haven’t committed yet,”
said Jay.
Many different universities are interested in Jay, including Henderson State University Portland State and San Jose State.
“My teammates played a big role in my success, I just play off of them,” said Jay.
While Jay credits his teammates with his success, they just see him as a humble person on and off the court.
“He is a real cool, laid back, humbled teammate and also has great skills on the court,” said Rashaan Phillips, Jay’s teammate.
Jay is a 1st Team All Region/Conference and 3rd Team All-Conference.
“Jay is really deserving of this all-star game. He has a great work ethic and that led to him being named first team all-region,” said Fletcher. “We recruited him for a reason. We saw the talent.”
Jay credits his motivation to his parents.
“Making my mom and dad proud is what motivates me,” he said.