It’s ‘Merry Christmas,’ not ‘Happy Holidays’

By Anjulie Van Sickle

With the holiday season upon us, retail stores are showing their enthusiasm. Christmas wreaths, ribbons and presents are everywhere. All the lights and decorations are in place.
When I look at stores like Wal-Mart and Target, I notice nothing actually has the word “Christmas” in it. There’s only the phrase “Happy Holidays.” The companies’ policies ensure they are politically correct and don’t use any sayings that could offend anyone.
Society as a whole has placed restrictions on how people are allowed to celebrate Christmas. Last I checked, we’re in America. We’ve been given the right of free speech. This should allow stores to put “Merry Christmas” in a store window.
But we can’t do this because we might hurt someone’s feelings. And we all know that we can never hurt others’ feelings because we’re just way too nice (insert heavy sarcasm here).
Certainly not everyone in America celebrates Christmas, which is fine.
People are entitled to say “Happy Hanukkah” just like I’m allowed to say “Merry Christmas.” Granted, our nation is one with a variety of different religions.
That doesn’t mean we should forget our heritage; we can’t lose who and what we are. We were built as a Christian nation.
Just because someone has a different belief system doesn’t mean we all have to conform to one religion; it’s impossible to make everyone happy.
I celebrate Christmas as a time to acknowledge my Savior’s birth. I know not everyone feels the same. But just because you don’t believe the same as I do doesn’t mean I shouldn’t be allowed to say “Merry Christmas.”
Let me have my freedom of expression and you can have yours. It’s a two-way street.