Armed students could help prevent tragedies

Commentary
By Josh Nelson

We defend our president, congressmen, governors, celebrities, sporting events, jewelry stores, banks, office buildings, factories and courts with guns. We defend our schools with a sign that says, “This is a gun-free zone.” If an emergency occurs, we call someone with a gun to fix it.
Carrying a gun is both a constitutional right and a possible way to save lives. The majority of the mass shootings in the news happen in gun-free zones, including the ones not on school grounds. If concealed carry had been legal, the citizens on site could have cut the death toll significantly by shooting the perpetrator long before the police arrived on scene.
The reason why shootings happen in gun-free zones is simple: Criminals will have guns no matter what law the government enacts. Criminals typically attack those who cannot fight back. Gun-free zones appear to be the easiest targets.
Many people worry about guns on campus, their argument being, ‘If guns become more accessible, more shootings will happen because they can pull out their gun at any time and shoot their teacher or fellow student.’ I am baffled by this sentiment. If someone is unstable enough to do that, they are going to find a way to do it, no matter what the laws are.
According to The Times of Israel, “Citizens trained in the use of firearms are a force multiplier in the struggle against terror.” This means citizens with guns help stop terrorists. If guns can help stop terrorists where terrorists are a constant threat, why do we think that guns won’t stop criminals in our own neighborhoods?
George Mason, who conceived and proposed the Bill of Rights, said, “To disarm the people … is the most effectual way to enslave them.” Likewise, George Washington said, “A free people ought not only be armed, but disciplined.” Washington went on to say that civilians need to be independent with their own supplies to defend themselves.
To make sure that someone who is mentally unsound does not get a gun, we have put extensive laws in place. However, these laws, and any future laws, will never stop criminals from obtaining guns. This reinforces that “We the People” need the right to defend ourselves, because the law cannot. The only purpose the law serves is to punish the criminal after the crime takes place, not prevent it.
According to legal defense program Texas Law Shield, 13 state laws determine if people are qualified to carry guns. Also, there are at least nine federal laws that bar people, such as people living in the country illegally, convicted drug users and those dishonorably discharged from the military, from having firearms.
Criminals will always have guns, and no law will ever change that. Criminals will continue to target gun-free zones as they always have, so we need guns of our own. It is not only our right by constitutional law, but it is also common sense.