Dallas Black Dance Theater Performs

DSC_0041By Karina Dunn

The Dallas Black Dance Theater ensemble visited Eastfield for the first time in several years. The semi-professional company explored cultural themes through dance on Feb. 11.
The performance began with “A Memory of a Memory Lost.” The dancers created the illusion of uncertainty, a unit as they maneuvered around the stage. Together they told the story, while each character could be pinpointed in one performer’s fluid motion or another’s well-timed stillness. Though they moved as one, the individuality of each dancer shined through the choreography.
“I give the steps, but encourage the dancers to put themselves into it,” Nycole Ray, director and choreographer, said.
Other pieces included choreography inspired by the communication of African miners by clapping their bodies and its
adaptation to American dubstep. A solo performance by dancer Alex Johnson preceded a piece inspired by Martin Luther King Jr.’s Nobel Peace Prize speech.
“We are blessed to have this gift of dance and the energy to do it every day,” Christen, one of the dancers, said.
The semi-professional company will perform at Dallas City Performance Hall on April 10-11 for a Spring Fiesta. The professional company will participate in a Cultural Awareness Series Feb. 20 to Feb. 22 at Wyly Theater.
Visit dbdt.com for full details on upcoming events and performer biographies.