Communication Club promotes leadership, community service

By Karina Dunn Staff Writer

Students ages 17 to 70 are banding together to experience what it means to be active leaders through the college’s Communication Club.
The club, which is the largest on campus, offers opportunities for students to serve the community through various service events coordinated by Dr. Mary Forrest, the club’s adviser since its inception. The organization, which has been around since Eastfield was founded, has helped thousands of people over the years through its charities.
“All the work that we have to do is well worth it for serving all members,” said sophomore Rosa Cueeas, the club’s vice president of administration and an education major.
Cueeas works closely with club president Maria Garcia to ensure the organization runs efficiently and offers a good experience for members. With the help of her fellow club officers, Garcia organizes meetings and activities such as Trash Bash, where students clean up litter in the community to learn about philanthropy.
Art for a Cause, a fundraiser that supports club activities, teaches self-sufficiency.
“Seeing the skills [members] take from the club take them further in their own life is one of my goals,” Garcia said.
Forrest said she has always felt a need to give back to her community and to help others. The campus club provided a chance for her to reach out to students.
Forrest credits her mentor, Sue Cook, with motivating her to help her community. Cook approached Forrest after seeing her in a school play and wanted to help hone Forrest’s talent and charisma. She mentored Forrest from second grade through college.
Forrest said she took what she learned from Cook and incorporated that into the Communication Club.
“She gave a lot of energy and time to me,” Forrest said. “She was my first example to be a role model to students.”
A community that is now approximately 40 students strong each semester, the club is becoming increasingly diverse. Forrest attributes the success of the club to the students and their determination to succeed.
“The Communication Club at Eastfield works to be proactive and interactive,” she said. “I like that they are so engaged. I love their positive energy. We are leaving the country in capable hands.”
Secretary Sonya Battle said all members, particularly the younger ones, express confidence in their roles and work to accomplish their goals.
“What stands out to me is how everyone works together,” Battle said. “There is no generation gap between older and younger club members. It feels like coming home.”
Individuality and fellowship provide a foundation for the Communication Club. Members note a cycle of self-betterment that expands as all members make a conscious effort to pass on what they have learned.
“In Communication Club we form a bond between members,” Garcia said. “We are all in this together. All this is one team, serving to the best of our abilities.”
Students interested in joining the Communication Club are welcome to attend club meetings on Mondays from 12:30 to 2 p.m. in N-107. Applications are also available in the Office of Student Life. Place the application in the Communication Club mailbox and an officer will contact the applicant.
Officers said students who are motivated, who work hard and who stay engaged should join the club.