Hidden Gem: Discover comic books, old soundtrack vinyls at East Fork Mall

A life-size cardboard cutout hides behind boxes of comic books at East Fork Mall in Sunnyvale. Photo by Macks Prewitt/The Et Cetera.
By MACKS PREWITT
Staff Writer
@MacksPrewittETC

East Fork Mall houses the largest variety of goods anywhere in the Mesquite area. Like a thrift shop on steroids, this mall is a must-stop attraction for the shopper who wants to discover new items and deals. It is like the “I Spy” books I used to read when I was a child. Except in East Fork Mall, I decide what I want to find.
East Fork is a vendor-based mall where retailers sell whatever they want in rented booths inside a red brick warehouse.
At the entrance, an antique furniture booth sits next to a booth that sells “Star Wars” action figures and has a large cardboard cutout of a First Order Stormtrooper.
Farther down, a booth that is in essence a shrine to American singer and actor Roy Rogers is across from a booth that sells model car collectibles. You will never go to East Fork and find the same items.
[READ MORE: Hidden Gem: Angry Dog offers ‘highest quality food’]
Rows and rows of about 250 booths stretch out to the left and the right when you walk into the mall. They meet in intersections at seemingly random intervals. Yellow arrows painted on the cement floors guide shoppers throughout the rows, lest they get lost, and directs them to important places like the register or the bathroom. The booths themselves are organized by the vendors, and sometimes it seems like they just dumped their items onto shelves and slapped on prices.
The scale of the mall can be disorienting because you go from the long aisles of booths to the booth itself. You have to switch from scanning the booths as you walk by to staring intently at the individual items.
An upside to this type of mall is that individual vendors can have sales on their items. If a booth is selling comic books for more than they are worth, try again later. You might return to find that same booth offering its wares half-off. Look for the white paper signs that describe the various sales.
The items themselves are mostly antiques and can range from bayonets and a cavalry saber to a collection of old-timey radios and suitcase record players. Anything and everything can be found at East Fork.
[READ MORE: Poetic storyline drives ‘Moonlight’]
Vendors have old movie soundtracks on vinyl, classic comic books like “The Avengers” and “Justice League,” collectible action figures and even a life-size cardboard cutout of Sen. John McCain.
Elvis memorabilia can be found in almost every booth, as well as action figures still in their boxes. Glass cases are popular with most booths ,and they usually hold a treasure trove of pocket knives and other knick-knacks.
The novelty of the mall alone is worth a visit. But make sure you have money because you will inevitably find something you want. Check out the selection on the mall’s Instagram account, @eastforkmall.
East Fork Mall is located at 613 U.S. 80 Frontage Road in Sunnyvale. Hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday; 10 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Saturday and 10:30 a.m.-5:50 p.m. Sunday. Look for the giant pencil.
https://eastfieldnews.com/2016/10/03/hidden-gem-serj-books-creates-novel-laid-back-environment/