An open letter to the new chancellor

An open letter to the new chancellor

Dr. Lonon, we would like to congratulate you on your new role as chancellor.

We know you have a long record at Dallas College, including time working under three different chancellors, and we are confident you will move the college forward.

As vice chancellor, you’ve sat down with us and listened to our concerns. You’ve attended our graduation ceremonies and celebrated our achievements. We believe you champion student success.

As you transition into your new role, here are some things we’d like you to keep in mind. We are excited to see the expansion of the Student Care Network and the implementation of Student Success Coaches.

We applaud the plans to increase Dallas College’s baccalaureate programs and realize the consolidation of seven colleges into one means Dallas College is now in a better position to offer these robust programs and services to students.

We also ask you to remember the excellent programs already in place before the consolidation.

Like most clubs and organizations, the Student Government Association’s membership took a hit during the pandemic, and Eastfield’s SGA is down to two members. The college reorganization with reshuffled funds and adviser layoffs further complicated things.

We encourage you to make the Student Government Association and other organizations that advocate for students a priority. Students on all campuses need someone to share their needs and perspectives with administration. Only then can we be sure that Dallas College stays student centric.

It’s also disheartening to see previously well-funded programs struggle due to lack of funding.

Last week our website provider temporarily shut down The Et Cetera’s website because of an invoice that was 162 days overdue — an invoice we’ve been trying to get paid since last summer. We’ve been told another campus’ student media organization is in a similar situation.

At the end of March our student journalists will participate in the Texas Intercollegiate Press Association Convention in Fort Worth. Due to finances, only four will attend. In previous years Eastfield sent groups as large as 10.

We know student media can’t be the only program that’s struggling to get basic things paid for or that’s been given a reduced budget.

Please make funding for all Dallas College programs a priority. Well-funded programs are crucial to our success as students. According to the old adage, a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

Dr. Lonon, as you do all you can to strengthen these areas, all of Dallas College will be strengthened.