Eastfield student shot; Mesquite police searching for suspect

Marisol Bucio, an 18-year-old Eastfield student, was shot Jan. 8 after leaving work in Mesquite.  At left is a photo of Bucio taken after the shooting.
Marisol Bucio, an 18-year-old Eastfield student, was shot Jan. 8 after leaving work in Mesquite. At left is a photo of Bucio taken after the shooting.
By Billy Dennis

An 18-year-old Eastfield College student was shot in the face on Jan. 8  as she left work near North Mesquite Drive and Towne Center Boulevard.
Marisol Bucio, a North Mesquite High School graduate, was taken to a local hospital where she underwent surgery to remove the bullet that became lodged behind her right eye. She has since been released from the hospital and is recovering at home.
Police obtained surveillance footage of the incident that shows a four-door sedan, possibly a Cadillac, leaving the scene of the crime. They asked for assistance in locating the vehicle.
“That’s the big one that we need help with,” Mesquite Police Sgt. Brian Parrish said. “When you narrow a vehicle down like that, there’s not that many in this area.”
Oak Farms Dairy, which has a long-standing tradition of offering rewards in local crimes dating back to 1973, has put up a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and indictment of the shooter.
“There’s not much to say about this really,” Parrish said. “It’s sad.”
Anyone with information is asked to contact the Mesquite Police at 972-285-6336.