Briefs: Student ID policy, faculty association president and a theater competition

Maria Cabrera and Victor Deterra star in The Harvester Theatre Companys performance of Vanya and Sonya and Masha and Spike on Feb. 22. Photo by Niels Winter/The Et Cetera
Maria Cabrera and Victor Deterra star in The Harvester Theatre Company’s performance of “Vanya and Sonya and Masha and Spike” on Feb. 22. Photo by Niels Winter/The Et Cetera

Faculty association elects new president
History professor Liz Nichols has been elected the new president of the Eastfield College Faculty Association.
Nichols is stepping in for former president Stacey Jurhree, who stepped down in December. Nichols has a master’s in history and government from Texas Woman’s University and has been teaching at Eastfield since 2013.
Jurhree caused tension in the association after making controversial comments in an email to faculty across campus. In the email, he referenced growing numbers of minority students in correlation to what he described as a “ghetto fabulous” atmosphere on campus.
Jurhree said he stepped down following the comments to dedicate more time to his students.

—Compiled by James Hartley

New ID policy takes effect April 1
Students will be required to visibly wear their student ID at all times beginning April 1. Students can receive their first ID free. Replacement cards are $10. ID cards can be obtained in C-120E Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

—Compiled by Aria Jones

Eastfield to host theater competition
The Texas Community College Speech & Theatre Association’s 2018-2019 State Play Festival will be hosted by Eastfield College for the first time Feb. 20-23.
Anticipated participating colleges include Blinn College-Brenham, Eastfield College, Houston Community College, Howard College, Lamar State College-Port Arthur, Lee College, Lone Star College-Kingwood, Panola College and Wharton County Junior College.
For more information regarding the 2018-2019 State Play Festival, contact play festival liaison Dusty Reasons-Thomas at [email protected].

—Compiled by Andrew Walter