Cheap, Easy Spring Break

Pick up a few good reads from the librarys best-seller and new books displays before spring break. Photo by Darnisha Cornelius
Pick up a few good reads from the library’s best-seller and new books displays before spring break. Photo by Darnisha Cornelius

Pick up a few good reads from the library's best-seller and new books displays before spring break. Photo by Darnisha Cornelius

Don’t have cash for a trip to the beach or the slopes? Make this spring break a relaxing one without spending much cash. Whether you want to veg on the couch or stay active all week, we have the perfect suggestions to fill your days and nights.
→ Read a book
Spring break is the perfect time to catch up on the trendsetter you missed. Read “Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn, the terrifying story of a couple whose happy life isn’t what it seems.
Go back to the classics with the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee. This novel is told through the eyes of a young girl who grew up in the South during the 1930s.
Its sequel, “Go Tell a Watchman,” comes out July after it was believed lost for more than 50 years.
Find out what all the buzz is about and read the autobiography of Chris Kyle, the inspiration for the hit film “American Sniper.”
→ Visit amusements in town
Through March 22, the Dallas Museum of Art will display the Impressionist Paintings from the Reves Collection exhibit, which includes work from Pierre-Auguste Renoir.
Enjoy Mother Earth’s gift at the Dallas Blooms Festival at the Dallas Arboretum, which will include thousands of spring flowers and live Texas music on select days.
→ Get active
With all the wintry days hopefully behind us, grab some friends and get active.
Nothing says spring break like a fun day in the sand. Town East Park has public sand volleyball courts.
Go for a jog. Hit the 9.3-mile trail of White Rock Lake that encompasses the lake itself, giving joggers a beautiful scenic view. Make it extra enjoyable and find a spot to picnic after a great workout.
Paddle down the White Rock Lake with kayak rentals. At only $20 per hour, you and a friend can enjoy the calm waters of Dallas.
→ Volunteer
Take some time to help out those in need. The Stewpot serves three meals a day, every day to the homeless and at-risk citizens of Dallas, requiring the help of 1,300 volunteers each month. To register, call 214-746-2785, ext. 320.
Every first Saturday of the month, volunteers clean White Rock Lake as part of the Adopt-A-Shoreline project. Get involved from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
You can also volunteer at the Dallas Habitat for Humanity store, where you can help collect donated household items.
→ Binge watch TV
Stay at home and catch up on some favorite TV shows.
The Netflix original series “House of Cards” is back. If drama is not your thing, revisit a crowd favorite and splurge on “Friends.” You can’t go wrong with this comedy.
Stay up-to-date on NBC’s comedy” Parks and Recreation.” With its series finale aired, make sure to know your stuff before the spoilers get out.

— Compiled by Vanessa Trevino