Lovers and fairies and dreams, oh my!

Danyelle Roquemore
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
Danyelle Roquemore
A Midsummer Night’s Dream
By Danyelle Roquemore

Many students would willingly admit that they cringe at the mere mention of William Shakespeare’s name.
But that may be about to change.
The Drama Club is hosting a free festival in honor of the fall show “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” that will make Shakespeare and his works seem like a good time instead of a tedious, outdated read.
“[Students should come] to relax and just get their minds off of classes,” event coordinator Alana Henry said. “[They can also] enjoy some Shakespearean delicacies.”
The festival will be held on Oct. 25 in the courtyard from around 10 a.m. until 12:30 p.m., when the second matinee performance begins. It will continue after the play ends. Student tickets for the matinee will be $5, and general admission tickets will be $7.
“We’ll be doing a lot of activities, and it’ll be free [and] open to anyone who wants to come and participate,” said Dusty Reasons, head of the Drama Department.
There will be many different activities at the festival, including bowling, jousting, face painting, maypole, hair braiding, dancers, and a Shakespearean insult booth.
There will also be trolleys full of actors reciting lines from different plays. The performances will be from “The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged).”
“It’s a three-man show where they go through all the works and scenes from each play,” technical theater coordinator Lori Honeycutt said. “I think it will be really fun and entertaining.”