Two teens detained following shooting near Mesquite High School

Mesquite police officers search City Lake Park where witnesses saw a group flee after Thursday's shooting. Photo by Anthony Lazon/The Et Cetera
Mesquite police officers search City Lake Park where witnesses saw a group flee after Thursday’s shooting. Photo by Anthony Lazon/The Et Cetera

This story was updated on March 10 to add the names of the person arrested. 

One person was hospitalized and two men have confessed to a shooting on March 9 near Mesquite High School, which left the school on lockdown for around an hour and a half

Police have released the names of the two taken into custody as Mesquite resident, Treveon Sims-Hubbard, 17, and Seagoville resident Dwayne Lassai, 17.

The two were charged with a deadly conduct offense and a bail of $15,000 each, according to a police statement.

Police investigation revealed the shooting began after a physical altercation over a feud between multiple parties escalated, resulting in shots fired by Sims-Hubbard and Lassai.

 The person in the hospital is in stable condition with a gunshot wound to the arm, according to a press release from Mesquite police Lt. Steven Biggs. 

 Police did not specify whether they are still searching for anyone who may have been involved and said the investigation is still ongoing. 

 The shooting happened around 2 p.m. at 120 West Main St. near the local Wells Fargo’s drive-thru, according to the release. 

Multiple witnesses said they saw a large group of young men disperse after the shots were fired. Some witnesses recalled seeing a black SUV leave the scene immediately after the shots were fired. 

Police said two male students ran toward the high school following the shooting. The campus entered lockdown after surveillance cameras observed the pair entering the school at around 2:15 p.m. The lockdown lasted until 3:55 p.m. 

It’s not clear from the latest police statement whether Sims-Hubbard and Lassai were the two who entered the school.

Multiple officers entered the school and located both subjects without incident and without any weapons, according to the release. 

Aaron Perdue, a student at Mesquite High School, said that in the last 20 minutes of the lockdown the principal spoke over the intercom system and said there was no more danger. 

Kevin Fording, owner of H&J Tire Co., called 911 after hearing the gunshots. Fording said he heard as many as 20 gunshots. Fording has been at H&J Tire for more than 40 years. 

Other witnesses reported hearing at least six shots fired. 

Rene Chapa, a nearby resident, saw a group of the young men head south down Bodine Street toward West Gross Street and City Lake Park. 


James Hartley, Skye Seipp and Anthony Lazon contributed to this report 


Click any photo to begin gallery

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.